Fixed Stuck Loader/Spinner in Webmin by Switching Webmin from Authentic Theme to Classic Gray Theme
Building a new server this week I installed Webmin from the Webmin repositories as normal.
The latest version, 1.830 comes with the new “Authentic” theme installed as the default. It looks pretty good, but wouldn’t work on my server because of syntax errors in a .js file.
The net result was that Webmin was stuck on the loading “spinner” and I couldn’t escape.
It was impossible to change the theme through the normal UI as it would not load anything. I needed to get back to the standard theme… but how?
Steps to Change your Webmin Theme from the Command Line
- Log into your server via SSH
- Edit /etc/webmin/config
- Change the line theme=authentic-theme to be theme=gray-theme
- Edit the file /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf
- Change the line preroot=authentic-theme to be preroot=gray-theme
- Stop webmin with /etc/webmin/stop
- Start webmin with /etc/webmin/start